I hope you had a relaxing and restful Thanksgiving Holiday!
We are writing to share our new process for obtaining approvals to hire administrative staff – Officers, Union, and NUSS - in the Arts and Sciences. The new process starts with the hiring unit providing a set of information via a google form, so that both A&S Budget and Finance and A&S HR receive the same information at the same time and can begin their review.
Starting now, please submit all hiring requests through our new Google form located here: https://forms.gle/yzEir5rnKQ8yNSFc7. If you have any pending requests, you do not need to resubmit them using this process.
As you look through the form, you’ll notice that there are some documents that need to be uploaded as part of the request. They include:
- Position Rationale: A short narrative (a paragraph or two will usually be sufficient; 1 page max) describing why the position is needed and the business rationale for it. Please make sure to describe the consequences to the unit of not filling the position.
- Proposed Funding Source(s) for position: Please provide comprehensive funding details, including a chartstring(s) or combocode(s). A template is here for your use.
- Job Description: Include a draft job description for the proposed position (an template can be found here). If you are thinking about changing an existing job description, we are asking for the original job description as well as a rough draft of the new one (just do your best and don’t worry about the exact language). As part of the process, we will work with you to finalize the job description to make it ready for submission into Talentlink.
- Updated Organizational Chart: We would like to see an organizational chart that accurately represents the current structure and one that shows us any changes you are proposing. This may mean uploading two versions for review.
The changes we are making aim to create a more efficient workflow and improve the overall approval process. We also know that sometimes there are challenges when implementing change, so please know we are here to listen to any feedback and will do our best to continuously improve.
Thank you for your partnership and wishing you all the best
This section is designed to help managers fulfill some of the administrative requirements associated with the new hire process and/or promotions and transfers of current administrative employees.
The following processes require advance discussion and/or administrative approval:
- Gaining access to People at Columbia (PAC) or Jobs at Columbia (JAC)
- Creating any new position at the level of officer or support staff, temporary positions and casuals
- Upgrading an existing position
- Obtaining salary approvals and guidelines
- Additional compensation requests
- Replacing positions
- Eliminating positions
- Restructuring staff
- Initiating progressive discipline
- Flexible working arrangements
Please contact Tanique Dunkley at [email protected] or (646) 745-8582, or Johana de Jesus Pagan at [email protected], or Stephan Richardson at [email protected], or Aryan Tashahood at [email protected] .
Arts & Sciences’ (A&S) entities are encouraged to use A&S-specifc forms for human resources related topics. Here are resources created and curated by the EVP-HR team for use in A&S:
- A&S Human Resources Manual for Administrative Employees
- A&S Leave Management Toolkit for Administrative Employees
- Performance Management in A&S
For general information, the following resources are available for your reference:
Central Human Resources’ Tools and Links
- HR Manager Toolkit
- Managing Performance
- Managing Benefits
- Time and Attendance
- Requesting a new UNI
- Learning and Development
- Human Resources & Finance Division Forms
- Job Description form
For additional information on the above topics, or customizing forms, please contact Tanique Dunkley at [email protected] or (646) 745-8582, or Johana de Jesus Pagan at [email protected], or Stephan Richardson at [email protected], or Aryan Tashahood at [email protected] .
Human Resources Manual:
- Labor Accounting Form (PAC) Salary Distribution & Additional Compensation (for use only when PAC cannot be used to process transaction)
- Time Entry Form (for use only when PAC cannot be used to process transaction)
- Overpayment Recovery Form (via Service Now)
- Stop Payment Form (via Service Now)
Performance Management Forms:
Employee concerns should be brought to the attention of Arts & Sciences’ Human Resources team (EVP-HR) initially to determine the next course of action. For administrative personnel, employee concerns should be routed to Tanique Dunkley, Davima Broadbelt, Roje Thomas, and Michael Jorge. For academic personnel, contact Joseph Werst ([email protected]) and Pamela Tan ([email protected]).
The following resources may be helpful for addressing employment related issues:
The Ombuds Office offers a safe place for any member of the Columbia community to discuss workplace issues, interpersonal conflict, academic concerns, bureaucratic runarounds, and many other problems. Discussions are kept confidential, and the office is not a part of any formal University process. No sides are taken in disputes and the office operates independently of the Columbia administration, reporting only to the president.
The Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) has overall responsibility for the management of the University’s Student Policies and Procedures on Discrimination and Harassment and the Employment Policies and Procedures on Discrimination and Harassment.
University policies are listed on the Human Resources website.
For more information and guidance on managing employee concerns – including Employee and Labor Relations, Performance Management and Appraisal, Probationary Period, Probationary Performance Evaluation, Grievance Procedure and Discipline review the HR Manager Toolkit and contact Tanique Dunkley at [email protected] or (646) 745-8582, Davima Broadbelt at [email protected] or (646) 745-8581, or Roje Thomas at [email protected] or (646) 745-8614, or Michael Jorge at [email protected] or (646) 745-8576.
For additional information on the above topics, or customizing forms, please contact the Arts and Sciences HR team (Johana de Jesus Pagan, Stephan Richardson, and Aryan Tashahood) at [email protected].